Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ice Cream Cake

I made my very first ice cream cake last week and figured I should do a post on it.
The story behind making it in the first place is that one of the young women (Maria) in our ward is always talking about wanting one, and that started making me want one, and curious of how to make them. I wasn't about to go buy one (they're so stinkin expensive), especially since we have this handy-dandy internet thing that has all sorts of free info on it. So I finally gave in and set a day to make the ice cream cake, with Maria.
I baked the cake in 2 rounds the night before so I could put them in the freezer/fridge to chill over night. 30 minutes before Maria came over, I got the ice cream out to soften a little. I was going to have her fill the empty cake round (lined with plastic wrap) with it so it could set up in the same shape as the cakes, but she came late (what else do you expect from a teenager?) so I did that job too. I put it in the freezer and let it start setting up, which is when Maria got to my house (nice timing, huh?). Since we needed the ice cream to set up for awhile (I didn't know how long), we put "The Skeleton Key" on. Maria loves scary movies. I'm not a big fan (I used to be, but hate them now), but since I've seen it before I was alright with it. I kept getting up to check the ice cream, and probably half-way through the movie, I figured it was ok to put the cake together. We paused the movie, and got all the stuff out. The cake ended up looking like a big ice cream sandwich, but that's ok. I hurried and frosted it with and 8 oz container of Cool Whip, then popped it back in the freezer before the ice cream could melt too much.
This is what it looked like before we cut into it:
And this is how it looked on the inside:
Yellow cake with Rocky Road ice cream. It was very good and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out, especially for my first time!

2 comments:

FitNotQuitJess said...

ooh, YUMMY! good job Julianna, you're too creative

Camille said...

ooo, it looks delish! And sounds easy-peasy. I thinkin' I should give it a try some time.