Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Surgery

Well, I guess I'll write a bit about the surgery I had Fri. March 21. I had been told my check-in time to the hospital would be 10:30 a.m, but on the morning of the surgery, I got a call at 8:50 saying the Dr. was fast this morning and they needed me in as soon as I could get there. Turns out we ended up getting to the hospital 10 min. before my original check-in time because Jer still had to get ready and traffic was insane for that time of day.
After getting checked by nurses and getting the i.v. in, I was wheeled into the operating room where I was put on the operating table and had my limbs wrapped in egg foam thingies while the anesthesiologist was making my vision all weird. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room with a nurse who wouldn't pay attention and a bladder that needed major attention. I was finally wheeled to patient recovery where I was reunited with Jer who had pretty exciting news. The Dr. had told him the surgery went well and that he got all of the septum out. We need to see him in one week to get the balloon out of my uterus and then we'll be on our way. Jer asked if we'd need to see him in another couple of months like last time but the Dr. said no. No more testing, no more surgery. After 2 months, we can start trying to start our family again.
This time around I have more cuts on my belly because I'm participating in a study that will hopefully give the Dr's more answers to why and how women get uterine problems. While under anesthesia and getting the surgery done, the assistants took a fat sample from my lower abdomen, a stomach lining sample from the side of my abdomen, as well as some uterine lining samples.
While still at the hospital, I was pretty sick from the anesthetic, which made my abdominal pain that much worse. The nurse gave me as much pain killer in my i.v. as she was allowed, but nothing seemed to help, she was really nice and felt pretty bad though. Eventually the nurse's shift was over and a new nurse came in. She was so fake I couldn't stand it and she only made me feel worse. As soon as she came in she was trying to get me to get dressed to go home. I understand I needed to do that, but I was trying to explain that I was in too much pain from throwing up and needed to get the pain back to a level I could handle. She pretty much ignored me and told me to start getting dressed anyway. Not until she witnessed me getting sick and crying and dying of pain did she finally leave me alone about going home and try to help.
Finally, I was released from the hospital and Jer and I got home around 6:30 or 7. He helped me walk in to our condo(last time he carried me) and I've been in bed ever since. I do get up and walk around a little, I'm supposed to, but I haven't left home since Fri. I'm so bored and uncomfortable. I just have to remember that it eventually gets better, so I just have give it time and have a little patience.
Thanks for the all the support and concern!

7 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Oh Jules, that stinks that the recovery has been so hard on you. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I can only offer this thought:
Just imagine, one day when you're holding your newborn in your arms, this will be a totally worth it distant memory. Way to be strong girl!

Camille said...

I'm sorry to hear about the hard recovery but congrats that the surgery went sos well! That's wonderful news! I'm so excited that you guys will be able to start trying for your family again. You're gonna make a wonderful mom! Love ya!

Tarah said...

thanks for letting us know about the surgery. writing it down will be a good memory to have (well, maybe not good so much as just important to have) good luck in the next couple months!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

Yikes!!!!! What a jerk nurse!!!! My night shift nurse was like that and I almost threw her out. I'm SOOOOOO glad this is your last one! Hang in there and see you soon!

Jorj said...

Sounds crazy!! But best of luck to you on starting a family!

Ryan and Ashley said...

I am so glad that your surgery was successful. By the way I tagged you.

We are the Dall family said...

I am sorry you have to go through all that to have kids. I hope that it all works out for you.